This beetroot relish goes unbelievably well with camembert and a glass of wine and is a great way to use up that bumper beetroot crop. Enjoy!!!!
This recipe has been adapted from notquitenigella.com.
- 500 gm beetroot (roasted and peeled)
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 tbs oil (extra)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- Wash beetroot and place in a heavy pot with a lid. Drizzle and then roll in oil to coat them all over. Bake for 1 – 1 1/2 hours until the skin removes easily. (Time will depend on the size of the beetroot)
- Allow to cool and then peel. It is a good idea to wear gloves during this step to avoid your hands becoming stained.
- Roughly chop the peeled beetroot into quarters and processor grate in a food processor until you get a rough, grated texture.
- Heat a saucepan on medium to high heat and add the mustard seed. Once they start to pop reduce to medium heat and add the onions and oil. Fry until the onions are translucent.
- Add the sugar, water, allspice, cinnamon, vinegar, salt and beetroot and stir to combine.
- Cook until reduced and the mixture has thickened. Stir regularly to prevent sticking.
- Bottle into sterilized preserving jars.