This recipe for Green Tomato Chutney has been adapted from the Australian Women’s Weekly Preserves Cookbook. It is a fabulous way to use up those end of season tomatoes and makes a fantastic burger sauce!
- 2kg Green tomatoes
- 2 large brown onions (about 400 gm) – finely chopped
- 2 large Granny-Smith apples (about 400 gm) – peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (440 gm) raw sugar
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 cup (150 gm) sultanas
- 4 long fresh red chillis – finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 2 tsp rock salt
- Fry onions, garlic and chilli until the onion is clear
- Add tomatoes, apples and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until tomatoes are soft(ish)
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer until mixture has a rich syrupy appearance and texture. (about 1 1/2 half hours)
- Bottle into sterilized preserving jars.