This recipe was a real favourite amongst garden members. Sorry for the lack of a picture.
- 500 gm onions (peeled and chopped)
- 900 gm apple (peeled cored and chopped)
- 1.8 kg oranges (sweet)
- 450 gm sultanas or raisins
- 1 tbs rock salt
- 2 tbs ground ginger
- 1 tbs cayenne pepper (or dried chopped chilli)
- 1.7 litres cider vinegar
- 900 gm sugar
- Put the onions into a pan with water and boil for 10 minutes. Add chopped apples and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Peel oranges with a vegetable peeler and then remove the pith with a sharp knife.
- Slice the peel into strips with a sharp knife. Put the peel and remaining orange pulp through a mincer or blender. Add to pan of onions and apples.
- Add the salt, spices, and half the vinegar. Simmer for an hour until the peel is tender.
- Add the rest of the sugar and vinegar and heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and the mix has thickened.
- Bottle into sterilized bottles.